PHILADELPHIA PA – A company promoters say is a “nationally recognized leader in urban farming” which transformed a former galvanized steel plant into “a model for urban agriculture” will be the focus of attention Saturday (Oct. 6, 2012) from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. rain or shine during the Subaru Fall Festival at Greensgrow Farms, 2501 E. Cumberland Street, Philadelphia.
Greensgrow is a center for organic gardening within the city, and its festival is what it calls “a celebration of fresh, local food, crafts and farm fun.” The free event is open to the public, and visitors there can sample harvest dishes, enjoy various crafts, visit the farmer’s market and have their children enjoy several activities.
Scheduled highlights of the day include:
• Chili competition: YOU Be the Judge! 1–3pm! Show off your cooking skills or become a judge. Prizes at 3:45 p.m.
• Subaru Kids’ Corner, with face painting, pumpkin painting, organic snacks, upcycled crafts and terrariums (all day).
• Greensgrow’s “Preserving the Harvest Demonstrations”: Gourd Birdfeeder Workshop (11:30 a.m.), Creating a Harvest Holiday Centerpiece (12:15 p.m.), Countertop Microgreen Gardening (1 p.m.), Pumpkin Seed 101: Snacks & Crafts (2 p.m.), Pumpkin Carving (2:45 p.m.), cider pressing, honey harvesting, pickled cabbage tasting (all day).
• “Organic Gardening Presents”: Demo and Tasting with 2012 Best of Philly Chef George Sabatino from Stateside (11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.); and author Robyn Jasko of Homesweet Homegrown and GrowIndie.com, making heirloom cocktails (2 p.m.). Candied citrus peel demo (3 p.m.).
• Live music from Swedeland Band, Kensington drumline, DJ Doctor Thunder, WXPN Presents: John Beacher, Chalk and the Beige Americans
• Craft bazaar, with As the Crow Flies & Co, Bob Engel wood crafts, Craft Foundry, DA Crochet, Ecobota, Holly Wilson, Hydro Graphic Apparel, Jewelry With Me, Liz Kinder Ceramics, One Grateful Gal, PortraitsByColleen, Practical and Creative, PunkRocKnits, Smith Built Pottery, Spruce Avenue, Sweet Bouquets by Jenn, Tremundo.
• Local non-profits and businesses, including Cares4Pets, Green Mountain Energy, Habitat for Humanity Philadelphia ReStore, Kensington Community Food Co-op, PAWS (Philadelphia Animal Welfare Society) , Sunshine Wellness Center, Training Paws, LLC., Yogassage, Zadie.
• and a visit with animals, including dwarf goats, a calf, chickens, turtles, Ping the Duck, Blanche the cat, and Milkshake the pig.
Photo from Greensgrow Farm